As lasers are becoming a common therapeutic device used in the dental setting, hygienists are looking for training and education on the safe and effective use of lasers This 6-hour in-person course and 2-hour online course is designed to provide the dental hygienist with the education and confidence to implement laser technology into protocols. From this course the attendees will learn laser physics, tissue interactions, soft tissue procedures, suggested settings, documentation, charting, codes, verbiage, techniques, and tips to achieve safe and effective treatment and results for patients. The hands-on portion will allow the attendees the opportunity to demonstrate the use of lasers for several procedures. Laser Bacterial Reduction, Laser Assisted Periodontal Therapy, Hemostasis, desensitizing, and treatment of oral lesions will be performed on typodonts and porcine jaws. Videos and case studies will support the course.
- Understand laser physics and tissue interactions.
- Understand and demonstrate competency in operating the laser device for hygiene procedures.
- Utilize and understand the laser safety protocols.
- Learn how to identify the patients’ specific laser therapy needs.
- Feel confident in the verbiage and communication with patients.